Tuesday, October 23, 2007

1 October 2007; Passion!

Earlier this year, out of tourist season, a class I was working with were given a huge treat, a free whale watching trip. It was especially good to see some of these well rehearsed, sea faring eleven-year-olds working conscientiously and seriously as the crew. They had been thoroughly trained and loved the job. They had a passion.

We had a great time on the whale watching catamaran, but the whales kept in hiding despite our efforts to find them. So the skipper, not wanting us to be too disappointed, put the sails up and now speeding, we sat out on the nets gripping the ropes tightly, laughing and enjoying the white ocean foaming just below us and occasionally absolutely drenching us with warm water.
As the catamaran was slowly steered back to its mooring and then tied up, the now quiet children climbed out to go back to school. I was last and thanked the skipper for his generosity and fun.

"Oh that's O.K. Chris!" he said. "I like to do it when I can. You have to give them a passion you see!"

"And that's what I want to do!" I said, " Give the teachers a passion for teaching and the pupils a passion for learning...give them a passion...you are so right!"

I started to follow the children, but then turned to wave to the skipper and, as I did, admired the catamaran framed by the blue ocean and the blue sea. And then I noticed its name.......................

"PASSION"

No comments: